Re: compressed cache store

From: <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 13:53:56 +0100

True, if you have the spare CPU time to compress the data.

Also, with object grouping alone one can acheive a fairly large
"compression" factor (20-30% not unrealistic) compared to store each
file in it's own block, even if such techniques isn't really
compression, only by eleminating the dead space. (the data stays
literally identical, only difference is in the amount of wasted space
around your data).

Regarding seek times. Sure This can also be done. I estimate seek times
in Squid can be reduced about 100 times on writes and 20 times for reads
from the current design. But this is not actually related much to
compression, more about planning your I/O correctly.