Re: Multiple storeio types?

From: Andres Kroonmaa <andre@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 13:13:39 +0200

 I think its to do with load-based selection algoritm.
 ufs is reported with constant load of 99.9% while aufs has variable
 load based on queue length and no of dirs. aufs always wins, and
 ufs isn't even considered.
 Try switch to roundrobin dir selection algoritm.

 See storeDirSelect* in src/store_dir.c.
 Imho this is a bug, although not sure how to handle this.

On 8 Nov 2001, at 4:16, Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com> wrote:

> Squid works. The ufs disk doesn't.
>
> The ufs store doesn't get written to. It is listed in the storedir
> output and there are no errors in the cache.log, but it remains at 0
> objects (confirmed by df, etc.).
>
> My max-size directory does come first, and works fine, if I use the aufs
> storeio type for it like the real disks--but I hate the thought of using
> 16 threads to manage 512MB of RAM disk space! ;-)
>
> Andres Kroonmaa wrote:
>
> > hmm, should work. only perhaps ordering is important, max-size FS's
> > should be first in sorted order.
> > what does mean "doesn't work"?
> >
> > On 8 Nov 2001, at 3:47, Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com> wrote:
> >

> >>I just wanted to check with someone who understands storeio better than
> >>I do...
> >>
> >>Is it expected behavior for only one storeio module to work at any given
> >>time? I.e. if I have one directory configured with ufs and one with
> >>aufs, should the ufs directory not work?
> >>
> >>I see nothing in the docs (and nothing in the source that I can figure
> >>out) that indicates this is the case, but the actual behavior I'm seeing
> >>says it is.
> >>
> >>Thoughts? (My reason for asking is that I'm fiddling with using a RAM
> >>disk for small objects to ease the write burden on the disk a bit using
> >>max-size for the RAM cache_dir, but I'd like to not use aufs as it is
> >>just needless process and memory overhead since blocking should not be
> >>an issue. It works fine with aufs alongside the other dirs, or with ufs
> >>when the other directories are disabled.)
> >>
> >>Thanks! (BTW-Using HEAD from two days ago, if it matters.)
> >>--
> >>Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
> >>http://www.swelltech.com
> >>Web Caching Appliances and Support