Re: [squid-users] Ramdisks

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 22:20:22 +0100

Actually, as said before I think a storage model can be found that does not
penalize small objects, mostly eleminating the need of that ramdisk, instead
allowing the ram to be used for proper hot object caching.

The more I think of these issues, the more appealed I am by my old "multi
level cyclic filesystem" idea, which basically is a log log structured file
system with metadata optimized for log structures and the voilatility of a
cache, and log cleaners at various time intervals of the log. Such a system
can be made to operate close to the I/O bandwidth of modern drives. Certainly
so for writes, and with some intelligent data ordering and prefetching reads
can also be improved a lot. Maybe not in Polygraph testing, but quite
likely in real life.. not sure how realistic model for locality of reference
Polymix-4 represents. The nature of log cleaning also allows one to use idle
time to improve hit rate and to increase performance during peak usage.

With the COSS approach and segment based space recycling one can acheive
similar results (not too unexpected as the basic ideas is the same), or
perhaps even slightly better from a I/O perspective as there is less meta
data, but at a higher penalty in memory usage and hit rate. The beauty of
coss is simplicity as it mainly needs to care about data, not metadata.
In-memory metadata is wastly simpler to deal with than any on-disk
equivalence.