Re: [squid-users] Ramdisks

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 01:28:54 +0100

On Wednesday 21 November 2001 22.20, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> locality of reference Polymix-4 represents. The nature of log cleaning also
> allows one to use idle time to improve hit rate and to increase performance
> during peak usage.

Just to clarify what I meant with increase performance during peak usage:

The idle time may be used to optimize the cache for faster hits, and other
maintenance tasks not critical for the operation.

It is assumed that maintenance tasks are given a lower priority than request
forwarding, and should not have any measureable negative performance impact.
The way the "cyclic filesystem" are structured gives priority to normal
operations, scarifying some disk space for speed when there is no idle time
for maintenance tasks. Actually, the first implementation will not have
these maintenance tasks to start with.. these are optimizations to increase
the effective disk space utilization and indirectly hit rate by enlarging the
cache.