Re: maximum_object_size

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 22:14:37 -0600

Jon Kay wrote:

> I would like to propose the elimination of maximum_object_size, in
> squid.conf. What does it do, you ask? Well, it sets a maximum
> object size that can be stored on disk. This seems like
> completely redundant functionality given the existence of the four
> [request|reply]_[header|body]_max_size variables.
>
> Worse, bringing in a file that exceeds the size of this variable
> does not result in an error page or log entry. The only thing that
> happens is that a variable is a silently incremented, making
> it a very difficult problem to debug. I found out about this
> variable it by gdb, which seems wrong.

What is the problem that is difficult to debug? Does it cause a problem
to download something greater than maximum_object_size, or is it just
that you'd like to know when something isn't cacheable due to size?

Though it does appear to be redundant with the other options you've
mentioned...

--
Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
http://www.swelltech.com