Re: MySQL logging

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 16:14:01 +1100

===
----- Original Message -----
From: "Florin Andrei" <florin@sgi.com>

> > I believe Robert was working on some logging helper patches
> > which push logging to an external process, but I'm not sure
> > how far they got.
>
> Kewl. Actually, even something like this might be useful:
>
> cache_access_log "|/path/to/some/wrapper param1 param2"

eh, I prefer clearer syntax. either it's a file,or it's a program :}.

> (this is what Sendmail/Postfix allow in the aliases file, to deliver
> messages to applications)
> I'm still not sure about the reliability of such a solution; but
anyway,
> if the wrapper dies, Squid should figure that out, and restart the
> culprit.

That is part of the patch. See the external_logging tag on
devel.squid-cache.
Unfortunately, we seemed to mysteriously lose entries.

> But it would be nicer to have proper *SQL logging or something...

Heh, all you need is a non-blocking mysql client library.

The main goal of moving the logging outside, was to allow rotations
*without* restarting the authentication/redirection helpers.

They all log to a pipe, and the pipe is not closed. The log helper
understands closing and opening the logs, thus everyone is happy.

Rob