Re: MySQL logging

From: Florin Andrei <florin@dont-contact.us>
Date: 29 Jan 2002 00:42:04 -0800

On Mon, 2002-01-28 at 21:45, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 28, 2002, Florin Andrei wrote:
> > On Mon, 2002-01-28 at 21:33, Robert Collins wrote:
> > >
> > > If the socket is blocking, the call may still block. Does INSERT DELAYED
> > > work with non-blocking sockets?
> >
> > I have no idea. :o)
>
> Do it as an external process.

Actually, "INSERT DELAYED" is designed to return success at once to the
client, no matter what happens; mysqld will cache the request and
actually make it happen when enough resources are available (at once if
it's not too busy, later if other requests are eating up CPU and I/O).
This option was specifically created for clients that cannot wait for
busy servers to swallow their insert requests.
That being said, is this still supposed to be an issue? (this is not
very clear to me, that's why i'm asking)

> Florin, care to work with Robert
> and sort out the missing log entries? I Have other things to
> smack around.

I'm kind of busy too, but i hope i'll be able to give some help if i
can. The issue of SQL logging is very exciting. ;-)

The only other daemon that does MySQL logging and i'm somewhat familiar
with (as a user) is msyslog:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/msyslog/

Maybe it's worth taking a look at its source? (especially the MySQL
output module)

--
Florin Andrei
"The security of any corporate network is inversely proportional