Re: MySQL logging

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 19:44:47 +1100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Florin Andrei" <florin@sgi.com>
DELAYED

> > > I have no idea. :o)
> >
> > Do it as an external process.
>
> Actually, "INSERT DELAYED" is designed to return success at once to
the
> client, no matter what happens; mysqld will cache the request and
> actually make it happen when enough resources are available (at once
if
> it's not too busy, later if other requests are eating up CPU and I/O).
> This option was specifically created for clients that cannot wait for
> busy servers to swallow their insert requests.
> That being said, is this still supposed to be an issue? (this is not
> very clear to me, that's why i'm asking)

Imagine the following scenario:
squid logs a lot of info.
the local socket buffer is filled, and the LAN to the SQL server is a
little congested (due to other traffic).
squid inserts yet another request, and squid blocks for 1/2 second.

That's a 1/2 second with no activity at all.

So, yes, it is an issue UNLESS the socket is able to be set non-blocking
(perhaps the mysql folk can answer this?).

Rob