Re: MySQL logging

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 09:51:26 +0100

On Tuesday 29 January 2002 09.44, Robert Collins wrote:

> Imagine the following scenario:
> squid logs a lot of info.
> the local socket buffer is filled, and the LAN to the SQL server is
> a little congested (due to other traffic).
> squid inserts yet another request, and squid blocks for 1/2 second.
>
> That's a 1/2 second with no activity at all.
>
> So, yes, it is an issue UNLESS the socket is able to be set
> non-blocking (perhaps the mysql folk can answer this?).

This is an issue no matter what logging mechanism you use. What to do
if the log cannot keep up?

But I agree. The external helper approach is the way to go here. This
way the issue only needs to be addressed once in Squid, no matter
what backend you use, and it becomes very easy to plug other log
backends into Squid.

Note: do not try to mix access logging and debug logging into the
same helper.