RE: NTLM

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 14:15:01 +1100

Actually, I'm not sure that that will work. IIRC the domain present in the negotiate packaet is the _machine_ domain, not the workstation domain. Because the users domain is orthogonal to the machine domain... This is just from memory.

> And are you absolutely sure the domain isn't used wheng enerating the
> NTLMSSP challenge, for any purpose?

No, but we've never needed it. We started off passing it through, and ended up removing it when we introduced caching.

As for handing the negotiate packet to the helper, we're actually considering giving the helper less, not more. The windbindd helper opens the door to allowing squid generated challenges, which means much more efficient processing, and less complex internal structures, but on the down side needs more smarts. So we're looking at a protocol v4 in the next release anyway.

Rob