authenticator for cyrus-sasl sasldb

From: Ian Castle <ian.castle@dont-contact.us>
Date: 05 Mar 2002 12:32:52 +0000

Apologies if this is the wrong list.

I've written an authenticator for authenticating against a cyrus sasldb
database of users.

We have a machine that provides squid and imap/pop3 services to a
relatively large number of students - and we don't want to have entries
in /etc/passwd for these. So we're using cyrus-imapd and cyrus-sasl
(with the sasldb database for the list of users).

I am perplexed by the fact that no one has written such an authenticator
before! I guess that for cases where you have a large number of users
you would typically have a large number of machines and so use some
distributed user database such as LDAP... and this is the reason why no
one has written a simple authenticator against the sasl database. Either
that I or am missing a trick somewhere...

Anyway, do you want this as a contribution? Currently, the source is
stand-alone see (http://labs.coldcomfortfarm.org/squid-sasl-auth) but if
you would like it I will put together a suitable Makefile.in so that it
can be slotted into place in the squid tree.

Regards,

Ian.