Re: squid-2.4 and macs?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2002 11:21:04 +0100

This we have always been doing. It is not our fault if it is a
http:// request. The origin server then forgot to set a "Vary:
Accept-encoding" header telling caches that the content varies for
different browsers.. (or the administrator is anonymizing away
Vary:..)

If it is a ftp:// request then it is our fault. We do not care what
the client claims to accept but always sends content-encoding
matching the file extensions. To get around the possible browser
confusion in such case the user can select the "download" link
instead (icon on the right), or reconfigure their mime.conf to not
have content encodings (change them to the corresponding content
types).

Squid SHOULD NOT touch the content encoding of proxied objects. It
may play with HTTP/1.1 transfer encoding, but not content encoding.
Both have roughtly similar capabilities however.

A gateway can play with content encoding. It it then the
responsibility of the gateway to ensure correct semantics are
provided on the object (note: range requests etc).