benchmarking squid on solaris/x86

From: Duane Wessels <wessels@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 18:01:13 -0700 (MST)

Hi,

I'm preparing to run a suite of benchmarks on five different operating
systems, all running on the same hardware. I have: linux, freebsd,
openbsd, netbsd, and solaris.

I've run some preliminary tests where Squid doesn't cache anything
on disk (using null storage scheme). The solaris box performs
significantly worse than the others. Solaris gets about 150 TPS
while the others get from 210-290 TPS.

I've tried the obvious things: file descriptor limits, ephemeral
port range, ...

Does anyone have experience with solaris on x86? I'm trying to
decide if its an inherent limitation, or should solaris be able to
keep up with linux on the same hardware?