Re: benchmarking squid on solaris/x86

From: Andres Kroonmaa <andre@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 08:48:35 +0200

 Hi,

 I'm running our production caches on Solaris8 x86 for quite some time,
 and I consider Solaris performing well. At high loads even better than
 Linux.
 We could discuss offlist the issues you have with Sol and see if its
 related to solaris as such or there is something to tune. There are
 some TCP tunables and kernel bits to tweak.

On 19 Mar 2002, at 18:01, Duane Wessels <wessels@squid-cache.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm preparing to run a suite of benchmarks on five different operating
> systems, all running on the same hardware. I have: linux, freebsd,
> openbsd, netbsd, and solaris.
>
> I've run some preliminary tests where Squid doesn't cache anything
> on disk (using null storage scheme). The solaris box performs
> significantly worse than the others. Solaris gets about 150 TPS
> while the others get from 210-290 TPS.
>
> I've tried the obvious things: file descriptor limits, ephemeral
> port range, ...
>
> Does anyone have experience with solaris on x86? I'm trying to
> decide if its an inherent limitation, or should solaris be able to
> keep up with linux on the same hardware?

 Andres Kroonmaa <andre@online.ee>
 CTO, Microlink Online
 Tel: 6501 731, Fax: 6501 725
 Pärnu mnt. 158, Tallinn,