Re: Just want to confirm the status of the Content Processing project

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 08:38:00 -0600 (MDT)

Yee Man,

        I am certainly not an expert in this area, but I predict that
there will never be a One True Framework to plug something into a
cache. Things like ICAP will emerge, evolve, and phase out.

If one wants to add a content-modification/filtering framework to
Squid, I would recommend getting a few real usage cases (a couple of
paying customers would be even better) and then make the framework as
general as possible while accommodating and targeting those specific
use cases.

An alternative is to design something that one thinks is the best
framework possible and then spend time fitting real-world cases into
that framework.

I recommended looking at ICAP because I knew that people had been
using it.

Alex.