Re: Where can I find NTLMSSP Spec?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 11:04:29 +0200

On Tuesday 14 May 2002 07:14, Yee Man Chan wrote:
> I read the documents at devel.squid-cache.org already.
> I think I need to dig the samba code to find out what
> I want. I heard that they reverse-engineered NTLM and
> DCE RPC stuff, is that true?

True. Microsoft then published parts of the SMB specification (the
CIFS specifications) and the Samba team realized it actually was DCE
RPC frames over SMB they were decoding. Microsoft haven't published
much of the RPC interfaces however..

Same thing for NTLMSSP, it has partially been reverse engineered, but
there still is many blank spots.

SMB normally do not use NTLMSSP. To my knowledge only NT5 uses
NTLMSSP in SMB, and only under specific conditions. The NTLM
handshakes in SMB is using a different frame format.

It is rumored that Microsoft had some semi-useful NTLM documentation
in some older MSDN libraries.

I would recommend starting by reading the documentation there is on
devel.squid-cache.org/ntlm/, including the linked documents in
"Available documentation" (note that there is two different
NTLM-over-HTTP links, the second has much more information than the
first). If there is any additional questions ask and we try to find
where the answer is.