Re: Squid, samba and winbindd

From: Andrew Bartlett <abartlet@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 23:52:04 +1000

Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> Chemolli Francesco (USI) wrote:
> > I have been reported (but have not checked in person yet)
> > that samba 2.2.4 includes the latest version of the winbindd
> > program from squid-3.0, which is supported by the squid
> > winbind helpers for basic and ntlm authentication.
>
> ???
>
> samba-3.0?

The whole of samba HEAD's winbind was merged into 2.2.4 This included
all of the stuff that the winbind helper requires. In fact we had a
implementation in the last 2.2 release, but we had it #ifdef'ed out for
security. This time we forgot to, so its available with the same
issues/features as in HEAD.

I'm not sure what we will do to secure this, if anything. The 'issue'
may not be worth doing a realse over, and we could well leave it till
the next general release, and change the protocol then.

Do remember that the protocol spoken on the winbind pipe is an interneal
samba protocol. As such it can change. This is why we are looking at
ways to write a generic NTLMSSP client - os we can just put a stable C
interface on that.

Andrew

--
Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet@pcug.org.au