squid as a ssl client / transparent proxy

From: Madhav Diwan <mdiwan@dont-contact.us>
Date: 31 May 2002 11:08:08 -0400

Hi All,

 I noticed a while back that someone had asked if the latest squid , 2.6
could be coded to act as a ssl client . I was wondering if this task had
been undertaken yet. If not would someone from development interested
in this contact me directly? We would be willing to undertake and support people
in the development of this as my company has a rather large client that
seems to want it.

The scenario is this :

multiple internet clients w/out proxy configurations --->

1 transparent squid via https

1 transparent squid ssl client---> through internet firewall ----->

internal https webservers

The idea is to use squid as an encrypting psuedo vpn server that takes
internet clients and encrypts them with out added software load on the
client or on the webserver.

This , if it ever comes to be, would give us two things: tighter
control over internet firewall rules, and connection control at the
proxy to the webservers.

If we could get Authentication, ldap auth?, at the transparent proxy
between client and proxy before forwarding requests , that would be
swell too.

If anyone is interested in this and or has pointers or advice please
contact me. Any response is welcome as i am just starting to find out
what is possible and what is not here.

Madhav Diwan

Wagner Weber Williams

50 Broadway