RE: squid 2.6-rproxy

From: Jeffrey D. Wheelhouse <jdw_list@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2002 11:49:24 -0500

Yes, exactly.

> If this is the problem
> then the problem is in how Squid allows multiple client to reuse the
> same server request while it is being processed.

That sounds very reasonable. One additional datapoint: we get a lot of
people with tools like "Get Right" and "DAP" that open 8-32 connections
then use range requests. So it's not unusual to see 200+ simultaneous
connections on the same 40mb file, of which half are partial range
requests.

> Quite likely changing the read-ahead gap just lessens the probability
> that the problem will occur.

And since I'm not qualified to actually fix this at present, I have to
settle for that. For now.

> > I'm not looking to change the default, just make it configurable.
> > Mostly selfish reasons: to teach myself about the config interface.
> > It's very questionable whether this is of value to anyone else.
>
> So you don't really have any motivation on why this should be
> configurable then.

Well... in addition to masking the problem I see, you go on to give the
other reason:

> Well, I know at least one reason why to make the read-ahead
> gap larger so I'll probably put it in anyway. If you can afford the
memory
> needed for the read-ahead gap buffering then it helps in offloading
> the webserver in reverse proxying with lots of slow clients as the
> connection between Squid and the web server then finishes more
> quickly, allowing the web server resources to be used for other
> clients while Squid is sending the reply to the client.

Yes. The flip side of this is that in the situation described above,
squid easily swells to consume RAM by the GB. So definitely not all
people would want this value large.

Thanks,
Jeff

--
NearlyFreeSpeech.NET
$1/1GB Web Hosting, no minimums, no monthly fees, no kidding.