Re: Fwd: Re: [squid-users] winbind authentication, mystical ?

From: Andrew Bartlett <abartlet@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 06 Jul 2002 21:19:38 +1000

This looks mostly correct to me.

The 'encrypt passwords = yes' is actually irrelevent here, it refers to
what Samba negotiates with its SMB clients.

Samba 2.2.x, x >= 4 is required, which must have nmbd and winbindd
started.

nmbd must run due to bugs in NT, it replies to the wrong port - nmbd
spits 'unexpected' packets into a tdb for collection.

Running smbd will allow the domain trust password to be changed, but
provides no other benifit. (In fact, it might not even do that, if no
users contact it...)

Samba HEAD currently (but this *will* change) uses the same protocol,
and allows the trust password to be changed with cron and 'net rpc
changetrustpw'.

--
Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet@pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet@samba.org