Re: Fwd: Re: [squid-users] winbind authentication, mystical ?

From: Jerry Murdock <jmurdock@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2002 19:04:45 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Andrew Bartlett" <abartlet@samba.org>
To: <squid-dev@squid-cache.org>
Cc: "Henrik Nordstrom" <hno@squid-cache.org>; "Jerry Murdock"
<jmurdock@itraktech.com>
Sent: Saturday, July 06, 2002 7:19 AM
Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: [squid-users] winbind authentication, mystical ?

> This looks mostly correct to me.
>
> The 'encrypt passwords = yes' is actually irrelevent here, it refers to
> what Samba negotiates with its SMB clients.

I thought this was probably so. An artifact from my standard smb.conf.

> nmbd must run due to bugs in NT, it replies to the wrong port - nmbd
> spits 'unexpected' packets into a tdb for collection.

It's been OK at my test site without nmbd, but that may just be luck, or no
one has yelled yet. I'll note the docs accordingly that nmbd is required.

> Running smbd will allow the domain trust password to be changed, but
> provides no other benifit. (In fact, it might not even do that, if no
> users contact it...)

So there is no way to change the trust pw with 2.2.x if the machine is not
serving smb clients?

What happens on 2.2.x install if nothing ever triggers a change?

This is somthing the how-to needs to cover.

Thanks,
Jerry