Re: Some interesing devel.squid-cache.org stats

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 15:35:52 -0500

The last numbers I heard from a market analyst working in this field
placed it significantly higher than that. I don't know his sources, or
how the numbers were calculated, but he placed Squid usage in the
european market at 85% or greater, and the US market usage at 70% or more.

It is more difficult to figure out than Apache market share, however,
because Squid is so rarely a 'sold' item, and there is no way to find
active proxy servers, the way NetCraft can poll webservers to find out
what they are running. I would take those numbers with a grain of salt
(i.e. maybe way off), but it is the best information I have on the
subject. The market analyst in question works for one of the major
investment firms in the world and all of his research for the past
several years has been in this field, so I reckon it is reasonably sane
information.