Re: doctype declaration

From: PsychoTekk .de <psychotekk@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 08:29:31 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@marasystems.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 14:34:58 +0200
To: "PsychoTekk .de" <psychotekk@europe.com>, squid-dev@squid-cache.org
Subject: Re: doctype declaration

> Do you have a suggestion on what the message should look like?

it would be great if one could define what is included and what not
in squid.conf (e.g. err_msg_client_ip on), this would require
an "if (Config.adminEmail)"-intern errorConvert() function in the
case'w' case, something like this:

case 'w':
    if (Config.adminEmail)
        errorConvert() {
            memBufPrintf(&mb, "%s", Config.adminEmail ... );
        }
    else
        p = "[unknown]";
    break;

> A idea that I think would work without too much HTML overhead is to
> provide a hook to a external stylesheet and to have the different
> sections in the error pages tagged with different style names. This
> should to allow the administrator to change the look and feel very
> easily. But my generic answer to this is that anyone seriously caring
> about the looks of the Squid error messages should customize them.

i also thought about external stylesheets, but the problem arising from
that is the conflict with the doctype declaration:

together with external stylesheets
<LINK rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="http://x.y.net/squid.css">

works fine, but then the doctype declaration would just work for
validation itself, not for telling the browser how to render the html
code (this requires the link to the dtd:
"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">), and without it some
browsers will switch to "quirk mode".

the full doctype declaration in connexion with external stylesheets
will cause many browsers to ignore the stylesheet.
this in fact is a browser issue and i'm wondering when the developers
will fix this problem since it's known for a long time now.

i dissuade from using external stylesheets atm, at least i don't think
this should be included in squid's default error documents now.

regards,
 C.L.

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

http://www.netzero.net/?refcd=N2P0602NEP8