Re: doctype declaration

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 16:29:19 +0200

On Friday 19 July 2002 15.29, PsychoTekk .de wrote:

> it would be great if one could define what is included and what not
> in squid.conf (e.g. err_msg_client_ip on), this would require
> an "if (Config.adminEmail)"-intern errorConvert() function in the
> case'w' case, something like this:

Many things are possible. Mostly a matter of deciding upon what to
do..

One complication is that certain % codes are only valid in certain
conditions. For example the DNS related codes is only valid in DNS
releated errors etc, FTP related codes in FTP related errors etc..

> the full doctype declaration in connexion with external stylesheets
> will cause many browsers to ignore the stylesheet.
> this in fact is a browser issue and i'm wondering when the
> developers will fix this problem since it's known for a long time
> now.

Sigh.. the DTD is only meant to specify the syntax, not the rendering,
and specifying a DTD system identifier that defines the syntax on how
to refer to stylesheets for rendering shurely should not make the
browser ignore stylesheets..

The only styling aspect of a DTD is that the browser may select a
different default stylesheet based on public DTD identifier, but this
should not require the system DTD identifier, only the correcct DTD
identifier. If the browser does not recognise the public DTD
identifier then how should it be able to derive which default
stylesheet to use from the system DTD identifier???

Further, the HTML specifications always uses the official DTD system
identifier in any DOCTYPE declarations, so one would expect browser
manufactureres to use the same when testing their implementations..

> i dissuade from using external stylesheets atm, at least i don't
> think this should be included in squid's default error documents
> now.

Ok, but neither should much more inline styling of the HTML I think.
To me it is fully acceptable if browsers who cannot follow the basics
of HTML specifications fails to style the pages correctly..