Re: release notes diff

From: Robert Collins <robertc@dont-contact.us>
Date: 29 Aug 2002 20:20:38 +1000

On Thu, 2002-08-29 at 17:27, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> Almost.
>
> There should be preformatted txt version (or HTML if linuxdoc craps
> out on the txt version) in the top directory of the distributed
> tarball.

linuxdoc uses sgml2 foo - but performed the postscript conversion
properly, where the sgml2latex crapped out. The .txt version for both
linuxdoc and sgml2txt has ANSI escape sequences in it - I guess I can
whip up a sed filter to strip that if we want to generate a txt version.
More reliably we could use docbook instead of the linuxdoc DTD, but the
programmers Guide uses linuxdoc, and I was simply following suite.

> Note: I do not want the main build process to depend on linuxdoc SGML,
> or the assumtion that the user must have the linuxdoc toolchain
> installed to be able to read the release notes.

Sure. I think we should pre-build it and have the Makefile there as a
convenience for us. As for the file in the root dir - I was thinking a
symlink to the correct version "I.e. ReleaseNotes.html ->
doc/releasenotes/release-2.5.html", and we simply update the symlink on
each release.

Rob