Re: 2.5 and the DNS

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 23:02:53 +0200

Chemolli Francesco (USI) wrote:

> This is not consistent with my observations.
> What I see are repeated queries for names which squid I'm sure sure has
> a valid reference for. Request merging is not really a problem.
> The DNS server can do that. But it would seem that a query
> is fired _before_ when the ipcache is consulted.

The conditions for "does not have a valid entry" is quite complex.

The bursts of requests is seen when the ipcache entry expires. Any requests at
that time individually triggers a new DNS lookup until there is a DNS
response. There is also some magics with "reload", but I think this can be
removed now when we have access to the proper TTL.