Re: Specific WIN32 helpers and fs module

From: PsychoTekk .de <psychotekk@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2002 10:51:37 +0100

hi Guido,
just an idea that came to my mind when i read "if we find that
Squid gets a good coverage on the win32 platform": many nt admins
especially in companies with smaller networks might have their
problems installing squid and would like to just run a usual
installer (i remember that i had my problems too when i first
installed squid 2.3.stable4 on my w2k machine).
what about distributing SquidNT binaries as an MSInstaller?
...just like Apache for win32 - the installation process
should ask for and commit the modifications in
squid.conf that are necessary to install and run squid
(the cache dir, nt servicename etc., then a batch or .cmd
file that calls "squid -z" and "squid -i [-n servicename]"
to create the cache subdirs and installs squid as an nt service...

Visual Studio Installer 1.1 (MSI) is an addon for VisualStudio
that packs .msi files:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/downloads/tools/vsi11/download.asp

some days ago i tried to pack the pre11 binaries that way,
the first problem that occured was that there are some
default folders that MSInstallers install the stuff to
(such like "program files" etc.), thus c:/squid/ would
be a problem for these installation processes.

furtheron i'm not sure yet how the installer configures
the .conf files and then runs the commands, but i'm sure
there is an option for that in the VSI packer.
i downloaded it some days ago and will have a closer look
at that soon.

it would be easy to include controls such as
start, restart (parse squid.conf again) and shutdown
from the startmenu shell using MSInstallers...

well, just an idea, and maybe the use isn't worth the effort
but i thought i'd share my thoughts ;)

regards,
 Clemens

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup