Re: handling 1xx responses

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 01:49:53 +0200

I assume you are talking about "100 Continue" here.. There is only two
1XX response types defined, and 101 is a very different beast. You
cannot apply the same forwarding rules on 101 even if the RFC tries
to bundle them together..

After a 101 response the proxy must effectively switch to tunnel mode
unless it knows the new protocol.

Note that there is two types of "100 Continue" messages. Those in
response to the client, and those in response to the proxy, and we
should deal with both.

Splitting responses in metadata+headers and object is a must for this
to work, and should have been done from start. The current habit of
using HTTP internally between the "store" (including forwarding) and
client_side.c is a big mistake in my opinion.

We still should have the limit that there may only be one object
returned I think. Informal HTTP messages never contain an object.