indroducing me

From: äÅÎÉÓ ï×ÓÉÅÎËÏ <pilot@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 14:22:53 +0300 (EEST)

Hi !
I have a suggestion of a feature for Squid and now post an introduction of
me (according to rules).
I am a system/network administrator, although software
development is my formal profession. My primary OS is Linux (ALTLinux
now) at work and at home.
I use Squid for serving needs of my users (the whole university). It's the
biggest load I've ever seen.
I'm interested in QoS and implement it via CBQ part of Linux netfilter to
manage cross-campus channels.
One of our tasks is to divide our bandwidth between students and other
people. It's only possible, when different IPs are used to feed traffic to
each class of consumers. One solution could be to have at least 1 box for
each class, but what will happen if I'm told to implement 16 classes of
priority ?
It's ineffective to keep a box just for indicating by it's IP certain
out/ingoing traffic. And there's the problem of syncronizing all the
caches to avoid fetching a cacheable URL 32 times finally.
I suggest to introduce a feature to solve this problem: allow to map ACLs
into multiple outgoing addresses.
e.g. in squid.conf

tcp_outgoing_address x.y.z.1
tcp_outgoing_address x.y.z.2 moreprio
tcp_outgoing_address x.y.z.3 lessprio
tcp_outgoing_address x.y.z.4 superprio
[...]
acl Students ....
acl TechSupport ...
acl Employees ...
acl MiscStuff ...
acl Boss ...
acl Security
[...]
map_class superprio Boss TechSupport
map_class moreprio Employees
map_class lessprio MiscStuff
# the rest remain unmapped and use default outgoing address.

I guess, that it's not too hard to implement, but don't have currently
time to dive into Squid sources. :(

    DO4-UANIC