custom pinger for satellite links

From: Michael Smirnov <smbsmb@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 20:54:56 +0400

Please decide if this idea is completable.
We have 2 links - a cheap(one-way satellite used only thru parent proxy)
and a costly one (terrestrial).
Also, the satellite link works very fast, but sometimes:
- has very slow download speed (~500 bytes/s)
- transmits no data after squid connect, and
   even lowering "read_timeout" didn't help.
I'd like to write for Squid an external "HTTP-pinger" like this
http://www.acme.com/software/http_ping/
to test periodically this parent by downloading a small file.
Maybe, it can be used in peer selection,
to make Squid use only after successfull "http_ping".
Can I get a short description about how Squid
communicates with pinger?