Re: Question about development

From: Robert Collins <robertc@dont-contact.us>
Date: 10 Sep 2002 16:12:44 +1000

On Tue, 2002-09-10 at 06:00, Boster, Dave wrote:

> I am in search of a solution for placing a caching server between clients
> and an Internet Filter (Symantec Web Security). The problem that I
> currently have is that the Internet Filter sees all requests as coming from
> the caching server, rather than from the actual client. A thought I had was
> to possibly add information to the packet forwarded from the proxy server.
> The information would be the IP address of the client.

Doing this may be very hard. The X-Forwarded-For header already shows
the client IP address. Having the packet come from squid with the wrong
source address will confuse just about any network switch you'd care to
name, and result in complete breakage.

> While I didn't see this capability in the current release of squid, I was
> wondering if you had any pointers on helping me start a project to do
> something like this with the squid server. Any help would be greatly
> appreciated.

Yep, put squid in front of the Internet Filter, not behind it. Heck put
squid in front and behind it.

Seriously: Why do you need the IF to see the client's IP address?
Also, Dans Guardian is a good content filter that works closely with
squid, you may find it of interest.

Cheers,
Rob