last ERR files tidyups

From: PsychoTekk .de <psychotekk@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 09:05:04 +0100

hi Henrik,
i have a patch that solves the last ERR files problems:
http://www.psychotekk.de/extern/ERR_pages.diff
- some files were not valid according to the w3c standarts,
  the order of <BLOCKQUOTE>, <PRE> and <STRONG> was wrong
  (inline- and blocklevel elements...)
- things like "<PRE><I> %E</I></PRE>" were replaced by
  <BLOCKQUOTE><PRE><I>%E</I></PRE></BLOCKQUOTE>, since the
  spaces before the %tag only achieved the correct formatting
  for the default font times new roman.
  <BLOCKQUOTE> uses the same formatting as <UL><LI>...</UL>,
  no matter what font is used.
  looks much better.
- i removed </P> tags since in HTML 4.01 they are not used anymore.
- i removed blank lines
- removed spaces at the beginnings and end of <H1> and <H2> tags
  (this is more a formatting issue since it's still valid HTML,
  but i think the ERR files should be as conform as possible)
- i standardized 'http://", ''http://'', ``http://", etc. to "http://"
  (see text in ERR_INVALID_URL files)
- the Serbian ERR_CONNECT_FAIL file still contained the
  @SHORT_DESCRIPTION@ tag which was used in the "generic" files and
  is outdated for the latest releases.
  i unified it to the English ERR_CONNECT_FAIL file.

there are still some text sections that are formatted
<PRE>
   text
   text
</PRE>
that would be better formatted
<BLOCKQUOTE>
text
text
</BLOCKQUOTE>
but there is no way (for me) to do this automatically for all the
files. i'd rather like to write some guidelines for the ERR files
so that in the future people can correct such last things themselves
when they modify or create ERR files.
the question i where to put this guidelines so that people will
read them?

regards,
 Clemens

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup