Re: profiling aufs

From: Robert Collins <robertc@dont-contact.us>
Date: 07 Oct 2002 19:00:00 +1000

On Mon, 2002-10-07 at 18:34, Andres Kroonmaa wrote:

> But what would be the purpose of PROF'ing inside service-threads?

Well for disk-servicing service threads, not much :}. For other forms of
worker-thread scenario's, to establish what takes the most time.

> Note that the only place where thread_safeness is required is in
> squidaio_thread_loop and squidaio_do_* funcs. All else is safe
> to use current PROF timers without mods as it runs within main
> thread. (partly its profiled already, like xmalloc calls, etc).

This isn't true. IFF the worker threads do not use -any- common profiled
calls, then it works, otherwise we may get xmalloc timings trashed (for
example).

> If you want to know how long it takes to fulfill aio request,
> then you could start timer in main thread at aio schedule time
> and stop it in main thread at completion time.

Thats a different metric, and yes I agree :}.

> My main question is do we actually need to profile threads?

Today - no. In the future - maybe. IMO the queueing code can be
generalised to support any blocking or cpu bound requests. This can be
useful for things like content transformation. (Waaaay down the track).

Rob