Re: C++ (again) / Squid 3

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2002 16:10:27 -0500

Francesco Chemolli wrote:
> Robert Collins <robertc@squid-cache.org> writes:
>

>>Right, I think it's time for a straw poll...
>>
>>IIRC we essentially agreed that squid 3 will be C++.
>>
>>Who here wants to rewrite squid from scratch in C++ for V3?
>>
>>Who wants to migrate squid in-place to C++ for V3?
>

> I support this idea. Starting from scratch would require having a long
> period without a working "product". Since the current overall structure is
> not hopeless as far as i can see, I see no need to start off from scratch.

I would have to agree. Without a number of full-time developers,
starting from scratch would take an indefinite period of time, and
probably longer than anyone would anticipate--certainly long enough for
the current codebase to become outdated, while there would be no
alternative yet available.

Refactoring todays Squid/C into tomorrows Squid/C++ is a pretty
compelling path, in my humble opinion. As far as my limited
comprehension can tell, everyone has been coding in a very object
oriented C for at least a year, anyway, and all changes that have been
made to the core have leaned towards making it more object oriented.
Seems like a logical plan to take it to its logical conclusion and begin
the conversion in earnest.

--
Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
Web caching appliances and support.