Re: C++ (again) / Squid 3

From: Robert Collins <robertc@dont-contact.us>
Date: 08 Oct 2002 20:33:49 +1000

On Tue, 2002-10-08 at 07:10, Joe Cooper wrote:

> I would have to agree. Without a number of full-time developers,
> starting from scratch would take an indefinite period of time, and
> probably longer than anyone would anticipate--certainly long enough for
> the current codebase to become outdated, while there would be no
> alternative yet available.
>
> Refactoring todays Squid/C into tomorrows Squid/C++ is a pretty
> compelling path, in my humble opinion. As far as my limited
> comprehension can tell, everyone has been coding in a very object
> oriented C for at least a year, anyway, and all changes that have been
> made to the core have leaned towards making it more object oriented.
> Seems like a logical plan to take it to its logical conclusion and begin
> the conversion in earnest.

Yep, thats my thought. I'd love for Duane/Henrik/Adrian to agree to
this, as I'm not going to commit C++ to HEAD without at least half the
core in agreement, and none in opposition.

I've been doing test migrations on sourceforge (and also gone into
refactoring, object usage, new overloading etc etc etc..

IMO I could have squid-HEAD converted to C++ by Sunday. Not a design
overhaul, just syntax everywhere, and (optionally) some incremental
design changes.

Rob