Re: icp bitrot?

From: Duane Wessels <wessels@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 22:23:06 -0600 (MDT)

> Well I've genericalised the code in an experimental branch I've got,
> it's down to a two if blocks, and all the sending and recieving logic is
> 100% shared already :}. If we can have v3 do RTT lookups without
> breaking the protocol, I can factor out even more code, giving us a
> trivial icp_v3.c, which won't bitrot anymore (because only the
> differences will be present in it).

AFAIK, it is not safe to do RTT lookups for v3. Since the v3 protocol
is not documented, Squid (or any non-netapp implementation) should ignore
those two overloaded fields.

> > People still use ICPv3?
>
> Who knows?
> from icp_v3.c :
> /* Currently Harvest cached-2.x uses ICP_VERSION_3 */

I thought maybe you were digging into the code because of a
problem or new feature. But now I understand that you are
just bored. :-)