Re: icp bitrot?

From: Robert Collins <robertc@dont-contact.us>
Date: 08 Oct 2002 14:17:47 +1000

On Tue, 2002-10-08 at 13:50, Duane Wessels wrote:
> v2 and v3 are actually not that different. Well, of course v3 is not
> documented, so I'm more or less assuming.

Ah :}.

> AFAIK the only real difference is in the contents of what v2 calls
> the OPTIONS (icp_common_t->flags) and OPTION DATA (icp_common_t->pad)
> fields. v3 uses those fields for something
> else (like last modified timestamps) that squid ignores.
>
> It would probably be better to eliminate icp_v3.c and make
> icpHandleIcpV2() more generic (icpHandleIcpMsg()) and
> make it ignore those OPTIONS fields for v3.

Well I've genericalised the code in an experimental branch I've got,
it's down to a two if blocks, and all the sending and recieving logic is
100% shared already :}. If we can have v3 do RTT lookups without
breaking the protocol, I can factor out even more code, giving us a
trivial icp_v3.c, which won't bitrot anymore (because only the
differences will be present in it).

> People still use ICPv3?

Who knows?
from icp_v3.c :
/* Currently Harvest cached-2.x uses ICP_VERSION_3 */

Rob