Re: icp bitrot?

From: Duane Wessels <wessels@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 21:50:28 -0600 (MDT)

On 8 Oct 2002, Robert Collins wrote:

> icp v2 and v3 seem more different than I expected....
>
> specifically, on the reply, the v3 code doesn't deal with reachability,
> but v2 does. This doesn't affect the return data, only the opcode. The
> opcode sent on unreachable sites is one used by v3 as well, so the
> protocol doesn't seem to specify this behaviour.
>
> Any suggestions?

v2 and v3 are actually not that different. Well, of course v3 is not
documented, so I'm more or less assuming.

AFAIK the only real difference is in the contents of what v2 calls
the OPTIONS (icp_common_t->flags) and OPTION DATA (icp_common_t->pad)
fields. v3 uses those fields for something
else (like last modified timestamps) that squid ignores.

It would probably be better to eliminate icp_v3.c and make
icpHandleIcpV2() more generic (icpHandleIcpMsg()) and
make it ignore those OPTIONS fields for v3.

People still use ICPv3?