Re: SQL server for cache storage.

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 12:38:52 +0100

If using Squid-2.4 or earlier then see
http://devel.squid-cache.org/hno/linux-lfd.html for instructions on
how raise the filedescriptor limit on Linux. Simply patching
configure to override the detected value is not sufficient and may
get you into trouble in some parts of Squid. The problem is that
Squid makes use of the fd_set datatype, which is dependent on
FD_SETSIZE which is hardcoded to 1024 in Linux GNU libc.

For Suqid-2.5 and later a ulimit prior to configuring Squid is
sufficient. Squid-2.5 knows how to shoehorn GNU libc 2.X into using
more than the default of 1024 filedescriptors.