Re: change proposal

From: Robert Collins <robertc@dont-contact.us>
Date: 16 Dec 2002 19:23:38 +1100

On Mon, 2002-12-16 at 14:17, Joe Cooper wrote:
> I thought the null cache dir left out disk access but still kept a
> memory cache, while no_cache deny all will never cache anything even to
> cache_mem?
>
> Or am I misunderstanding the suggestion or the current behavior?

Just me being
a) brain dead
b) too brief.

Henrik's later email aligns neatly with my proposal.

The basic thing is, the null cache dir is a workaround for two
behaviours of squid. Namely squid requires a cache_dir to operate (a),
and defaults to a ufs cachedir of 100 Mb if none is specified (b).

Addressing (b) is easy, we change the default to be no cache dir.
(a) will take a careful code review, and thats about all.

Having no null cache dir will allow a somewhat stricter SwapDir class
definition, and will reduce the number of cache dir code paths to
maintain to 2 - coss and ufs.

Rob

Rob