Re: squid-2.5 ipv6 --- dead code or WIP?

From: Robert Collins <robertc@dont-contact.us>
Date: 05 Feb 2003 14:03:20 +1100

On Wed, 2003-02-05 at 13:56, Chris Wedgwood wrote:

> > I think it could be merged into the mainline immediately post 3.0
> > going PRE-release. (which is when we'll make a development branch to
> > stabilise 3.0 on.
>
> What about differences in configuration syntax and the arguably
> somewhat ugly IN_ADDR abstraction? Right now there are some ipv4
> centric ideas... since only a small percentage of people will
> actually use IPv6 presumably, we don't want to force everyone to
> change ther configuration syntax (things like 0.0.0.0 -> ::) and also
> need to think about how best to deal with ACLs intelligently...

Yep. first off, the IN_ADDR abstraction....
A local class to encapsulate that abstraction, and any other related
ones, may be useful, and thus less ugly.

Regarding acls and configuration:
We need to allow the current configuration unchanged w.r.t. ip address
syntax. IPv6 deliberatly doesn't conflict with ipv4 notation, so
handling both should be straight forward.
For acl's, I'd be inclined to start off with an ip6 specific src_6 and
dst_6 approach, and examine merging them (i.e. what does it take to
compare 127.0.0.1 with 127:::::1 or whatever it is?

Anyhoo, if you are interested, sign up on sourceforge as a developer,
and email me /the list your user name.

Rob

--
GPG key available at: <http://users.bigpond.net.au/robertc/keys.txt>.