Re: streams fopen

From: Andres Kroonmaa <andre@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 09:39:27 +0200

 Hey, watch your words, i'm Solaris shop ;)
 When I first encountered this issue, I was told by Sun tech with sad
 mode that yeah, sux, but thats invented looong ago that FILE has 8bits
 for FD, and that they are forced to drag this along all the way for
 backward compatibility. He also began shining suggesting 64-bit api.
 Considering binary backward compatibility as crippledness is something
 we owe to linux.

 Compiling 64-bits is not that wanted. Loose performance, mem.

On 19 Feb 2003, at 22:13, Henrik Nordstrom <hno@marasystems.com> wrote:

> Indeed the case for certain crippled OS:es like Solaris 32 bit API.
>
> Note: fdopen is also as useless on these OS:es for the same reasons..
> 8 bit field in the FILE structure for storing the filedescriptor..
>
> Not sure I even want to think about spending time on supporting such
> crippled OS:es, especially considering the OS vendors today have
> alternative interfaces which is not crippled like this. For Solaris,
> just compile applications 64bits and be done with it.
>
> Regards
> Henrik
>
> On Wednesday 19 February 2003 18.24, Andres Kroonmaa wrote:
> > hi,
> >
> > we should really avoid fopen() in any place. it may fail when
> > first 256 FDs are in use. Cause of failures during reconfig.

 Andres Kroonmaa <andre@online.ee>
 CTO, Microlink Data AS
 Tel: 6501 731, Fax: 6501 725
 Pärnu mnt. 158, Tallinn