Re: delay pools and fd_set 's

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: 28 Feb 2003 12:53:38 +0100

fre 2003-02-28 klockan 12.03 skrev Adrian Chadd:
> On Fri, Feb 28, 2003, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> > Adrian: What was the exact number of filedescriptors you configured
> > Squid for using?
>
> 2048.

Odd.. 2048 is a nice number and should work fine with the glibc headers.

> I agree. There was some real whackiness going on here, I coudln't quite
> unravel it but when I did the above it seemed to calm the tide.

And you are absolutely sure 2048 is the number of filedescriptors Squid
was configured to use before you calmed it down by replacing the fd_set?

Based on the visual inspection glibc gets things wrong if FD_SETSIZE is
not an even multiple of 32, but should work fine when it is. 2048 is
for sure a nice multiple of 32.

> I can always commit an update with a local version of howmany().

Better to just expand it directly in the expression.. we should avoid
adding new defines where not absolutely needed. It is no more than a
simple rounding function to deal with uneven multiples of the fd_set
chunk size (what glibc is missing in it's definition of fd_set)..

--
Henrik Nordstrom <hno@marasystems.com>
MARA Systems AB