Re: Join to discuss NTLM Authentication

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2003 15:14:25 +0100

On Sunday 02 March 2003 11.01, Gary Price \(ICT\) wrote:
> Hi
> as described in the squid-users list, I have made a change that
> appears to make NTLM auth work. To my surprise in fact. I would
> like to figure out why this actually works. I was planning to go
> further and establish a guaranteed 1-1 connection between client
> and server connections, but it appears not to be necessary.

It is necessary for proper operation. Keeping the server and client
connection detached allows for too many races where things may go
wrong to be acceptable for production use.

Also it is needed to not have a too much negative impact on the
persistent connections cache when NTLM/NEGOTIATE authentication is
not being used. Your change effectively invalidates the server
persisten connection cache and reuse.

Kinkie: at the moment the discussion is mainly about transparent
proxies where the browser is (rightfully) unaware that there is a
proxy inbetween.. but as discussed previously on squid-dev once this
is solved we can by adding MS extension headers make browsers aware
there is proxies knowing about the Microsoft NTLM or NEGOTIATE
authentication hacks and allow them to be used via the proxy even for
normal proxying.

To bring the discussion in some more context, here is the message Gary