Re: mod_gzip, revisited

From: Robert Collins <robertc@dont-contact.us>
Date: 06 Mar 2003 16:34:01 +1100

On Thu, 2003-03-06 at 16:23, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> hiya,
>
> I'm in a position where a few clients are complaining about the mod_gzip
> Vary: ignore and I'd like to return valid replies to them.
>
> I spoke to Robert on IRC about this a little. I thought about hacking up
> the Vary: header wherever I discovered there was a mod_gzip reply w/ no
> vary-information, but this might be a little tricky to get absoultely
> right.
>
> I'd be quite happy , for now, with a patch to simply not cache anything from
> mod_gzip w/ no Vary information. What do others think?

I think a reply_nocache_access access list would be good.

A complementary tool would be a
warning_message message text
warning_message_access message allow|deny acl [acl...]

which could combine to do
reply_nocache_access allow gzipped oldmodgzip !varysonuseragent
warning_message brokenmodgzip "old modgzips don't set Vary, which is
needed for correct operation with caches. The server that sent this
response has one of those old mod-gzip's and to prevent incorrect
operation your local cache has not cached it"
warning_message_access brokenmodgzip allow gipped oldmodgzip
!varysonuseragent

This is safe and semantically transparent.

Rob

--
GPG key available at: <http://users.bigpond.net.au/robertc/keys.txt>.