Re: Problem with origin server connections

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: 11 Mar 2003 17:59:30 +0100

tis 2003-03-11 klockan 17.26 skrev David Nicklay:

> > The StoreEntry is unmodified until a reply to the IMS is seen, but it is
> > possible something goes wrong if a negative reply to the IMS query is
> > seen.
>
> The cases where we have had the most problems are when the NFS server is
> not responding on the origin server but the origin server and listener
> are still responding. I do not know what response the listener would
> send in this event. I will see about trying to simulate this with some
> test boxes at my desk.

In such cases the HTTP request is most likely sent to the backend, which
then never sends back a reply, effectively making that connection stuck
until it either
  * times out by Squid (read_timeout)
  * is aborted (client aborts and half_closed_clients off)
  * the NFS server awakes and the server instance on the backend
continues processing the request.

The above continues until all server instances on the backend is buzy
processing

This should however not have any effect on future revalidations of the
object..

--
Henrik Nordstrom <hno@marasystems.com>
MARA Systems AB