Content size headers changed by squid?

From: Jason Hihn <jhihn@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 09:45:54 -0500

Thank you all for the warm reception!

I have a small console program written for win32 that merely GET and POSTs a
file to an apache server running a 2 very small perl CGI scripts. The
scripts checks authentication, and picks a file to send ('download') or
save('upload'). The upload works fine. The download does not. After the auth
and the picking of a file to send:
    my $size = (stat $filename)[7] || 0;
    my $buf;
    sysread(IN, $buf, $size);

    close(IN);

    print $cgi->header(-type => 'application/octet-stream',
        -content_length => $size);
    print $buf;

These files are only a few Kbytes in size, so it can't be a memory thing.
From what I can tell, it looks like squid is changing the content-length
header. Does anyone know why/how this could be? I have this working with 3
other proxies though, so I know in some respect it should be working.

I am working on getting a complete "conversation" but it may be a few days
before I can get back on-site and run the new win32 client with the
conversation capture code. To complicate matters, The squid proxy is not
under my control, and the people who currently run it are without expertise,
so I'm trying to get around having to change their config. The squid version
is 2.2.5stable, and it's running on a version of Linux that is about 2 years
old (Red Hat 6.2 I think). The admins are so without expertise that I had to
get the squid version by telneting to it and giving it a bad command, and
looking for the version at the bottom.

Thank you for all your help!
-Jason