A proposal.

From: Daniel Draper <boxen@dont-contact.us>
Date: 27 Mar 2003 21:38:46 +1030

Hi everyone,

I'm interested to know peoples opinions. In regards to HIT/MISS packet
marking I figure it might be a good idea to make it an option in the
squid.conf file. Perhaps under the miscellaneous section and defined
something like:

        mark_client_packets <miss_mark> <hit_mark>

miss_mark is the number between 0 and 16 that the packet is marked with
in the event of a cache miss and hit_mark is that of a cache hit.

If the directive is not present in the config file then packets are not
marked. I can't think of any reasons straight away but perhaps some
people might not want packet marking on their cache. Maybe QoS
algorithms?

Also, the ToS marks may need to be even valued only I think because of
the organization of the bits in the IP-Header. Can anyone clarify this?

Cheers,

Daniel