Re: A proposal.

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 04:34:53 +0200

Alan Barrett wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Mar 2003, Daniel Draper wrote:
> > I'm interested to know peoples opinions. In regards to HIT/MISS packet
> > marking I figure it might be a good idea to make it an option in the
> > squid.conf file. Perhaps under the miscellaneous section and defined
> > something like:
> >
> > mark_client_packets <miss_mark> <hit_mark>
> >
> > miss_mark is the number between 0 and 16 that the packet is marked with
> > in the event of a cache miss and hit_mark is that of a cache hit.
>
> Why would you use a number between 0 and 16? Wouldn't it make
> more sense to use a 6-bit DSCP value (see RFC 2474)?

Agreed.

Actually, I do not see any reason why Squid should even care about which
RFC the user wants to play via.. just set the 8-bit ToS field to
whatever the administrator configures, if he configures it using an
invalid value it's his problem, not squid. This is also the kernel API
provided for manipulating this field..