Re: Re : Re: about peerPingTimeOut()

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: 02 Apr 2003 16:02:16 +0200

Sorry, I am not sure I fully understand your question, but I'll try to
answer it anyway.

Squid uses the ICP query key field for identifying which request a ICP
query/response is for when there is multiple pending requests for the
same URL. The ICP query key is a "random" integer embedded in the ICP
query and returned in the ICP response.

The commSelect(..., httpReadReply, ..) is installed on the HTTP
connection to the origin server or parent cache as soon as Squid has
sent the request.

Persistent connections only come into account between two requests for
the same server. When Squid has read the complete reply from the server
and the connection can still be kept open for future use it places the
connection in the persistent connection pool. On next request Squid
first checks the persistent connection pool for an existing connection.
If no open connection is found to the requested server a new connection
is opened.

The httpState keeps information Squid needs to know about the server
connection while forwarding a HTTP request. This is returned to
httpReadReply when there is data available to read on the server
connection. It is not related to the client connection.